Thread: Disabilities
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 06:29 PM

Part of the discussion that is missing is that YOU, OP, used the word crippled. Then you stated you were taking it back so that you could use it, but others couldn't. That's the kind of hypocrisy I don't go for. You rail that no one teaches their kids about people with disabilities, well you know you can't really make people raise their children one way or another. What I'm getting though is I'm supposed to tell my children t hat the word cripple is wrong, except when someone who is disabled uses it. Oh but then what about those with invisible disabilities? Do I stop and ask when they use the word cripple if they are disabled? Is there only certain disabilities allowed to reclaim that word? Or only a percentage? My husband is a disabled veteran, they use percentages, so is it like that? At 20% you are disabled but that's it, at 40% and higher you get monies, education and are allowed to use the word crippled?

The crux of everything seems to be that YOU can not get over how you have been treated so you go looking for people to judge you on things even when they aren't. If all you do is look for something, you are going to find it. Keep looking at how wrong you feel disabled people are treated and you will find it. Meanwhile you are missing how many people don't see disabilities AT ALL. How many people raise their children to not see them. If you wish to live in negativity by all means, have at it. Just don't tell me I'm not doing enough because I didn't stick up for you.

Little side story, I ran a site and had someone show up and berate me. Misogynistic crap that was so horrible it left me shaking. I can't even repeat things he said and honestly it upset everyone, even as it was aimed at me. I finally mentioned to my staff that I didn't understand why no one was sticking up for me. You know what they said? "We know you are a strong person and can handle yourself. You don't need someone rescuing you from every little insult. We figured you are an adult and if you needed help, you would have asked."

It took me back but I realized it was a great compliment. They were trusting me to handle my problems myself AND to be mature enough to ask for help. Instead of berating how the internet allows people to be more violent verbally than usual. If you need someone to stand up for you, then ask. Don't complain because you don't feel it's 'fair' that people don't automatically assume you need to be helped. I'm pretty sure that feeds into the whole prejudice of assuming you are disabled/a woman/whatever you need others to step in FOR you without being asked. Can't have it both ways.