View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyF View Post
And if i tried to defend myself it would just go in one ear and out the other and they wouldnt even be able to see my side of the story, and would straight up think i was lying to them! They just think that everything i tell them isnt true, like im a pathological liar of sorts. My brother makes genuinely hurtful jokes about my relationship and my mother verges on verbal harassment when i have done nothing to provoke her (i think she does it because she has no outlet because my father left so i've become the scapegoat) but that doesnt mean it hurts any less.

But srsly, you cannot please all people all the time. I'm not sure if you're dealing with people who have unsettlingly poor communication skills or if they're just razzing you and just not aware that they're pushing it too far.

I would worry less about what they'll say about your relationship and worry more about how they talk to you in general. If they feel like you're easy to walk over, they will. Planting the flag with a distinct and unmistakable "this ends, now" sounds necessary. That may bring them around to realizing they're overstepping. If not, then its likely that very little else you can do or say is going to have any real effect.

In that instance, efforts should be made to insulate yourself and ignore the comments. There are some people that are beyond reaching and there's no reason to engage in such a Sisyphean task.
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."