View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 01:40 AM

Hello WineDineIL - Welcome to the Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineDineIL View Post
I'm interested in self-sufficient living and would love to have a farm with goats & chickens some day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
I'm in an MFM "V" and the "hinge" also has a thing for self-sufficient living. We never quite get around to it, but it's an area of interest.
I had to smile Kevin - as that sounds like us. I have a fascination with self-sufficient/off the grid living...but somehow have a hard time getting past the "planning".

We have made a few steps in that direction - we moved out of the suburbs onto a few dozen acres in the country. We are interested in beefing up our redundancy systems. For instance, the house actually came with an in-line natural gas generator that runs the well pump, septic pump, freezer, etc. when the power goes out (which is often). We have a well and a cistern and a big Berkey water filter (with a stream and lake nearby).

We keep talking about adding solar and/or residential windpower. Also plans for rabbits/chickens/goats...

I get a kick out of watching "Doomsday Preppers" and looking for ideas I also like reading and thinking about things in terms of "voluntary simplicity". But most of it is just talk-talk in the evenings while enjoying a few choice microbrews

Life is grand!

JaneQ
Lotus: poly bi married female, "it's complicated" relationships with Dude/JaneQ/MrS (1+ years)
+ "others" = FBs, FWBs, lover-friends, platonic G/BFs, boytoys, etc.

My poly blogs here:
The Journey of JaneQSmythe
The Notebook of JaneQSmythe