View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofDiscovery View Post
As an aside - if you jump all over new members for incorrect use of terminology, general unrelated semantics issues and other stuff that is not relevant to the point they were making, they will end up getting frustrated and not coming back.

That may make you feel big and clever, and that nobody is infiltrating your 'tribe'...but it just means that the place becomes stale and no new ideas are allowed in.
One might think so... And yet, we get plenty of new people every day, many of whom stick around. As it happens to work out, there are two kinds of people who misuse terminology.

Some come in here with obvious and self-proclaimed ignorance. We help them and they are grateful that we take the time. They make a genuine effort to learn the ropes, because they really want to be educated. Eventually, they either get their question answered and wander off, or they really take a liking to the group and stick around.

Others come in here with oblivious ignorance and behave as though they know it all, giving out advice when they really don't know what they're talking about. These people get royally offended when we try to educate them, and eventually they fuck off. If we even notice that they're gone, we don't tend to miss them, as they really weren't contributing insight to the overall discussion.

It's got nothing to do with tribe. Shit, BoringGuy and I have been at odds since I can remember. But for the most part, we respect each other. I would never be friends with him, since I don't care for his communication style... but he means what he says, says what he means, and recants when he's proven wrong. That's more than I can say for a lot of people.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."