View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nondy2 View Post
Also, SC wasn't speaking from experience about her life which her step-daughter, but rather experiences of her friends with their parents. That's all I meant.
I think you are combining SC and Saintvlas22 into one person when they are not.

While I agree that parents should protect their children, I was your son's age when I had my first non-intercourse sexual experiences with my babysitter's son who is a year younger than me. Nothing my parents could have said or done would have "protected" me from that experience. We were kids, exploring our bodies and playing house. We'd pretend we were the parents and our younger brothers were our kids.

When I was 12, I was helping raise my sister who is 11 years younger than me. She called me mommy because I was her caretaker until our mother got home from work. My step dad's idea of parenting was yelling and he was more concerned with his bowling leagues than parenting his daughter. Yes she went to a babysitter while I was in school, but I was the one who picked her up at the babysitter and took her home, and cooked and fed her dinner while our mom worked late and had to take an hour long bus ride home each day to support the 6 of us. Yes, raising my son has been different, but I don't think it would have been that different, had I not left the state to go to college when she was 8.