View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:48 PM

I think a lot of it is how you present yourself. On the internet especially, there is a bit more anonymity so you can get away with playing up parts of yourself that you don't as much in life. If that makes sense.

On paper, we are probably so normal a family it's not even funny! I'm a stay at home mom, we have three kids, been married 18 years as of next week. He's been military and works for the government. We were married two years before we had children, I only worked outside of the house where either kids came with me, vet tech, or while hubby was then the stay at home parent. We have always been a 'nuclear family'. No step parents, half siblings, pretty boring really. Hubby is into computers, I write or do graphics. We play family games and watch family movies. We introduce our kids to classical literature as well as classic movies, yes they know who Ethel Merman and Fred Astaire are!

Now, beyond that? They've been to camps where it was clothing optional and pagan. They've been to churches of just about every kind and to pow wows and learned to make dream catchers and make their own essential oils. We've camped in areas that are considered 'queer community' and have always been around transexuals, gay, lesbian, role players of the geek and freak type. I've dyed my hair all colors of the rainbow and dressed goth for going to goth clubs, and have piercings and tattoos. Kids now have blue and purple and pink hair. Are interested in anime (not cartoons), baking, fashion design, theater, queer community. Yet, all of this is 'normal' for us!