View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by nycindie View Post

Sorry, but I've read and re-read your posts in this thread several times and still have no idea what it is you're saying. What, exactly, is the point you're trying to make?
My post is about how humans form judgements, and specifically how individuals inherit judgements from groups. If an idea is repeated over and over again then most people will adopt that idea even in the absence of any proof.

Blacks should sit at the back of the bus
Women belong in the home
Men aren't very manly if they have sex with other men (this is an opinion I have seen here in this forum)

All of the above are demeaning statements to the target audience, but rarely are the people who make these statements aware of it. They have adopted a belief and can't easily change that belief even when confronted with clear evidence.

It takes time and awareness on the part of people to understand that although you may have a very firm opinion about a subject, you should also be aware that you don't live in a vacuum. Speak your mind of course, but there's no need to be descriptive and demeaning about why you don't like a particular group.

In this forum, people are fairly cognisant of not insulting others because of their beliefs or persuasion or choices. That's why I made the statement that you quoted in your post. But even more then that, I think we (in this forum) should be exceptionally good at not insulting others. Why? Because we ourselves (polyamorists) are on the butt end of bad public opinion, so we should be the last people to make any kind of negative remarks about any
group of people.

Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. - C. Hitchens

Me: Male, bi, 48, flexible
Husbanding Aquarius
Dating MsX