View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundedSpirit View Post
Hi Duane,
I think it might be useful to point out the fact that any religious organization (i.e. christianity etc) is first and foremost a political organization and only secondly a spiritual one. Many of the "rules & regulations" presented as such are private interpretations of particular humans with their own agenda to pursue.
Grounded Spirit, when I first began to wrestle with reconciling the will of God with my interest in polyamory, the last thing I needed was someone disparaging my church ("first and foremost a political organization"; "their own agenda to pursue"). And there's a reason for that.

It's one thing to respectfully examine in depth the teachings of my church, find some of them lacking, and modify or abandon those teachings because of their inherent failures.

It's something else entirely to glibly abandon the teachings of my church because I found them inconvenient, because I wanted to do something the teachings prohibit.

When I first began this process, I HAD to wrestle with Scripture, with church teachings, and with my own soul. It was absolutely necessary for me that I understand polyamory within the context of my Christianity and the church teachings that I knew. I felt that anything less would be dishonest and hypocritical.

I don't know Duane. I don't know how far Duane has progressed in his examination process.

I do know that criticizing someone's church and/or religion is rarely productive. It can trigger defensiveness, a need to protect one's self, one's church, and one's connection with that church.

Far better to point out the emphasis Christianity places on truth, love, and authenticity. All of which are completely consistely with polyamory.

Last edited by jasminegld; 01-02-2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: forgot something