View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitePossibility View Post
Hmm - I don't know if I'd agree.

Seems to me like people approach monogamy very differently.
I'm talking about the very base of the idea, bricks one and two. Monogamy is, OED, a relationship involving a single other mate. Before you even get to how you spend time with each other.

Quote:
I use the words 'MY sister', 'MY brother', 'MY mum', 'MY friend' etc. Doesn't mean I'm indicating ownership - rather that I'm describing the relationship I have with those individuals. 'MY brother' has a sister who isn't me. 'MY mum' has 2 other children. Any of one 'MY friends' have loads of friends that aren't me.
I'm the first to admit that the overwhelming majority of people dont intend to convey the idea of ownership when using words like "my" and most of them dont feel as though they own the other person or even agree with the concept.

That said, it still reinforces the idea on a cultural level. I'm not advocating we play Marxists and reinvent the language but we should be aware of the connotations inherent in the language we use.
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."