View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 05:13 PM

Default Take Care of Yourself

I gotta admit, I'm with WhatHappened on this one.

This is only my opinion based on your side of the story, of course, but a guy who will not have sex with you but will not break up with you, will not respect your feelings about other relationships, etc., is clearly not really in love with you. At least, not in a way that would be nurturing for you. Your description of him, to me, makes him sound confused and unable to truly give of himself to any one person, let alone to many of them.

In my view, true poly love does not result in a psychotic break. Unresolved feelings, unmet expectations, unrealistic hopes -- these are things that drive us mad, and these things we do to ourselves. How many bad feelings compared to good feelings do you really experience from this relationship? Are you taking care of yourself? Are YOUR needs getting met? If not, I believe you have every right to protect yourself, because no one else will do that for you.

One of the toughest things I'm learning right now is how to be my own best friend. And not in a sexual way, either. I'm talking about learning to pay attention to MY needs as well as those of my two lovers. I'm just as important, and I've only recently realized this myself.