View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Default Emotional Volatility

Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
I'm in a cohabitating Vee also. One thing I've personally observed, for my own experience, is that privacy can be an important issue. I need to be able to "retreat into my cave" sometimes.
I can see how that would be EXTREMELY important for me, and I'm the "hinge" in this case. If we ever decided to cohabitate, I'm sure I would need my own room (I was raised as an only child) to occasionally get away from the demands such a situation would present.

I think it's a challenge anytime multiple people share a living space, let alone when it's also a poly sitch. Just think about a regular monogamous couple, almost everyone has problems learning how to live together. So you really have to learn a lot by trial and error. Each individual person is so different and unique, they all have their "tips and tricks."
Were you monogamous when your relationship started, or were you the addition?

Our first few years together (as a Vee) were rough. We had to have separate domiciles for awhile. Things just gradually smoothed out over time. Now we have a comfortable, boring dynamic with each other, and we love it. We first got together (as a Vee) in 2006. It took til 2009 or 2010 for things to really start smoothing out.
That's a bit scary. Right now, my Vee is a bit volatile. Even though it was my husband that opened me up to the idea, now he's dealing with his insecurities and fears. I'm trying to be as understanding and patient as I possibly can, but there have been some tough developments that I will address in another post. Any advice you have on that post when I get it up will be appreciated!

Another challenge is I have had a short fuse and big mood swings in the past. For some reason I've finally calmed down, perhaps because I'm finally taking the "winning combo of meds." But who knows.
I can imagine how that could make things a bit more difficult! I went through my own cocktail of mood meds over the years, but I got to the point where I didn't feel they were actually helping me much. Took a while to wean off them, too, but it seems to be working for me. Still, it seems there's nothing like the swing of emotions while trying to work out how to live with unconditional love.