View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGirlInGray View Post
I took the survey, but I don't understand why you're presenting this as "couples" research. If you want your research to include people in polyamorous relationships, what about collecting data from people in triads, quads, etc.?
That is an excellent point, and one that I've been struggling with for a while. Limiting people to responses about only one partner is straight-up exclusionary and really loses part of the picture. I imagine that many people have very different answers to these questions, depending on which partner they are talking about.
The problem I'm having is one of data analysis, which is really frustrating; having to leave people out because of math feels like a piss-poor reason. With the statisical options I have available to me for this project, entering in responses from some people about one person, and responses from other people about multiple people just won't give me accurate results. I struggled wth this for a while, in terms of whether or not I even should come to people and ask them for information about their relationships, while telling them they had to leave out some of those relationships. My advisor and I discussed this a lot, and I talked about it with some of my friends in the poly community. We finally concluded it was important enough to actually do research including poly relationships, that not doing it because we would have to start with limited methods wasn't a good reason to keep neglecting a whole community of people. Obviously, when we're talking/writing about our results, it will be very important to talk about this limitation and we will absolutely do so. In addition, I am hoping to be able to improve my methods as I continue to do more projects. I honestly don't know if I will be able to include data about multiple relationships in my second project either, but I am currently looking into ways to do so, and I could certainly specify whether or not this is possible when I present future studies. I really do want to present as accurate and fair a picture of the people in my research as possible; it's just ironic that sometimes it feels like science isn't the best way to do it.