View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Personal experience and reports from psychologists.
I would very much like to see these reports as I have yet to see a satisfactory (hell, ANY) explanation of the mechanism of action in videogames that triggers addictive behavior.

Quote:
The existence of video game treatement programs and people who voluntarily enter them to get help for their own self-perceived problem.
People buy DVD rewinders and inject lethal poison into their faces to look pretty. What people buy and sell are EXTREMELY poor indicators of reality.

Quote:
Absolutely it does. And where does that opportunity for less active play come from?
Correlation does not equal causation.

Quote:
But I'll revise what I said. The culprit is not video games all by themselves. The culprit is glowing rectangular screens and the extreme availability of media for those screens, combined with parents' neglect about forcing their kids to get out of the house and be active. I might even argue that media is and always has been addictive. The first media was books. Then radio. Then TV. Now the internet and video games.
I would contend the problem goes even deeper than that and we refuse to see it, but again that's an entire new topic.

Quote:
No, but if you were to show a modern video game combat scene to a kid in the 1950s, he'd be horrified and have nightmares about it. Likewise for a modern movie or tv scene. But acknowledged. I should have said desensitization to virtual violence. I don't think anyone ever gets used to real life violence, as any war refugee will attest.
If you showed The Land That Time Forgot to a kid in the 1950's they'd have been terrified of it; our cultural norms change over time depending on their environment. A kid in the 1850's could slit the throat of a goat, gut it, and skin it without ever flinching whereas a kid in 2010 would probably ralph if they saw it happen in front of them.

Quote:
That one I will grant you. No mentally sound person is going to play a bunch of video games and then think it will be a good idea to go out and shoot up a bunch of kids. Humans have always been violent, and the fact that people find violent video games so attractive really speaks more towards how we already are as a people than what video game makers make us become. If we didn't think blowing shit up was so fucking cool to begin with, then video games where you blow shit up wouldn't be popular and the manufacturers would find something else to sell.
From what I've seen and learned, people who abuse games do so for two reasons; self-medication and self-stimulation.

Those who self-medicate are depressed and are looking for an escape from the world that they find in games. They find a safety and a codified system of understandable and masterable rules that they can interact with, they find a sort of equality and meritocracy all in one where they can both be safe from the hostility of the world as well as develop mastery at something. They're looking for a world they can understand and influence in meaningful ways.

Those who self-stimulate are looking for control. They feel powerless or jaded and games are a way to regain control and see new things that you otherwise wouldnt be able to. Violent fantasies can be enacted with no repercussions and you can become respected for being the best at something.

In both cases you have people who are using games as a means to an end. They are both using games the way someone else would use drugs and eventually they want to spend more and more time in that world because they like the feeling being there gives them. Over time, that stops being effective and you get people who snap and either implode or explode.

In both cases, nothing about the game specifically is drawing these people in. They're looking for some medium that can give them the feelings they're looking for and they find it in games. If games weren't around, they'd be going to movies or TV shows. Without movies or TV shows, they'd go to books and so on down the line.
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."