View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Banned

Location: Ping-ponging around Europe, trying to get a publishing concern off the ground

(FINALLY!) I'm going to get closer to the main point of this thread.

No absolutes, but I do believe that GENERALLY women are more open to adapting. I don't know whether this is due to their wiring; the fact that [and I'm speaking about women here culturally/historically not as a macho stereotypist (in fact, I'm my favourite childminder)] dealing with children constantly, if you can't adapt... you're FINISHED!; or the fact that - as freeantigone has already pointed out - women are more often FORCED to adapt.

Maybe (generalising again), men have been so programmed to winning, to being alpha, that they [we] are more likely to feel that adapting / being flexible is a sign of weakness and therefore of a loser.
Ironic that (culturally/generally) by being so set on not being losers... we lose so much.

I also think [WARNING: approaching cliché!!!] that women are (generally) more open to love, more interested in making relationships work, more willing to DO THE WORK necessary to making relationships work.

Tragically, a male homosexual is STILL considered by a huge chunk of society to be less of a man. And - too often - many gays encourage this prejudice by exaggerating EITHER their femmeness or their butchness until it appears a party piece, a bit of melodramatics, a farce.

So - not going on personal observation, but it seems believable - a woman who has fought her way over the barrier against polyamory is capable of fighting her way over the barrier of set-in-concrete sexual orientation. Also, a person curious enough to want to EXPERIMENT with polyamory is maybe curious enough to experiment with bisexuality. And "you won't know whether you like it if you don't try it".

Last edited by MrFarFromRight; 01-14-2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: clarifying confused sentence structures