View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 06:32 PM

I think it's worth mentioning that not all women in religious polygamy are oppressed, either. Sure, they may have chosen a different path if they'd grown up in a different environment. The same can be said of anyone, can it not? But there are women out there who really do enjoy the "sister wife" arrangement, and prefer stereotypical women's roles and men's roles. I think it's just as oppressive to tell these women "You're not allowed to choose your marriage arrangement and let your husband make all your decisions."

I wasn't born yet, but I've been told that during the beginning of the women's movement, a lot of stay-at-home-moms were frowned upon by "feminists" because they were perpetuating women's roles and oppression. That cannot be further from the truth. Feminism means women have the right to choose how they live their life. If they choose to be a home-maker, with dinner ready at 6 and the kids cleaned and letting hubby make all the financial decisions for the family, and they can find a husband who's on board with all of that, then more power to them.

Now, 14-year-old girls being forced to become 6th wife to 55-year-old men? Obviously a different story.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."