View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGirlInGray View Post
As a high school teacher, students are NOT allowed to say, "That's so GAY!" in my classroom. I don't care if they're actually homophobic or not. I don't care if they have gay friends or not. I don't allow them to say it because it perpetuates an idea that using sexual orientation (perceived or actual) or gender identity (perceived or actual) as an insult IS OKAY. When it is NOT OKAY.
And that's the kind of influence that we need that will help to diminish and eventually eliminate using that kind of language, I applaud it fully.

Quote:
In the paragraph I quoted above you do the exact same thing, minimizing the effects of males using orientation or gender to insult. As if it were somehow justafiable, because they're just "looking for something to use to make themselves a nuisance." That is in NO WAY an acceptable reason. If it were not tolerated by the gaming community in general, they would eventually stop doing it and find other, more gender-neutral ways of insulting teh noobs. Allowing anti-gay and misogynistic behavior to continue without challenging it is as bad as spreading it yourself. This is absolutely one case where if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the over-arching problem of societal acceptance of this behavior.
There's a difference between accepting and condoning.

I dislike rain. Its cold, its wet, it makes travel difficult. I dont condone rain but I know there is nothing I can do to make it stop raining so I have to accept it's existence.

The same goes with people acting like jerks. You will never get rid of that kind of behavior. Ever. That goes across all gender, racial, sexual, and cultural lines. I'm not attempting to minimize at all, I am trying to get people to understand that there IS a difference between someone who acts like a jerk and someone who is truly prejudiced; someone who just acts like a jerk can have their behavior corrected by their surroundings and the input of their peers. That's why what you do in your classroom is important; it shows the kids that they're in a world that does not accept that kind of treatment of other people and they're less likely to use that kind of language.

People are going to act like jerks no matter what you do. The only thing you can do is help create an environment that is as unreceptive as possible to that sort of behavior and you'll see it moderated quite a bit with enough time and pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGirlInGray View Post
Ummm, because statistically speaking a LOT more people spend a LOT more time and money on gaming than is usual for most other hobbies.
Lets take golf as an example, its a nice establishment game.

It requires special shoes and special equipment as well as clubs and course fees just to play the game. Punch that stuff into Amazon and see how high that price will go. There are clubs, ONE CLUB, that goes for upwards of $1,000. That's one club, the game is generally played with an assortment of them.

ANY pass time can be taken to ludicrous level of expense.

Quote:
For whatever reason it seems to be very addicting for some. There may be the occasional person who fails classes or loses a job or relationship due to too much time spent baking, but it's far more rare. There are lots people who can balance gaming as a fun, non-detrimental part of their lives, but there's also lots of people who can't.
At the risk of derailing the thread, I'm not sure I agree.

People may not loose jobs because of excessive baking but they certainly can put on large amounts of health and relationship endangering weight. Spending time gaming is almost universally looked at as an unproductive waste of time by non-gamers and even we gamers (yes, full disclosure, I am a gamer) tend to be sheepish when we stay up till 4am playing a game we're really into.

I think we're more likely to HEAR about gamers having an unhealthy balance because society isnt yet that accepting of games. We're far better than we've been but we've got a ways to go.

Quote:
ETA: Other high-cost, long-hours hobbies, like golf, can indeed cause rifts in relationships, if it isn't an interest the people in the relationship share.
Absolutely true.

But you have to ask yourself when Googling addiction, which activity brings up a joke site as it's first result and which brings up the Betty Ford clinic as its first result? That gives you a pretty good idea of where people's general values are situated.
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."