View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Omigosh, I love Shakespeare! My mother had two volumes, all the works, and I read them all voluntarily before I ever got to high school. When I was in grammar school, my sis and I both looked forward to the reading contests our town library held, where we would receive a certificate if you read all the books on the list over the summer.
I'm glad someone enjoys him. After having Romeo and Juliet read to us in Ye Olde Timey script with the teacher pausing every two words to explain the modern equivalent to the Ye Olde Timey word she had just read should be put in the fucking Geneva Convention under "crimes against humanity." I was never so thankful to end up taking a Sci-Fi class for my senior year of high school rather than ANOTHER European Lit class.

Quote:
I don't even recall most of what we were required to read when I was in high school - except for The Canterbury Tales and Beowulf.
And see that's part of the problem; I would probably have ended up hating Beowulf had we read it.

We read Antigone, which is actually a pretty awesome play, but we ended up hurling it up on the table and dissecting it unto death to the point where I just didnt want to even read the title anymore. Twenty plot maps and chapter summaries later you're so sick of the characters and the story you never want to pick it up again. And that was a story I LIKED. I was ready to start painting the walls with my own blood when we got to the obnoxious little twerp in Catcher in the Rye.
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."