View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 01:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
I agree with what you are saying here, but I don't think the way to meet in the middle is to bash people over the head with how I am marginalized. I also need to make a trek from where I am to meet people where they are at. How do I do that? By living my life without apology or trying to fit in.... living my life in honesty, openness and staying calm and understanding that others are not where I am... keeping my frustration and anger over other peoples agenda in check.
I think that the issue is that people who are marginalized don't have a choice about having to make that trek out of their comfort zones. They are faced with having to do this on a daily basis in order to get the very same things that come easily for those in the majority. From a position of privilege, it could be seen that wanting to address the fact that they don't have that choice is "bashing people over the head with their marginalization". The privileged position has the ability to dismiss it and remove themselves from the conversation. However, those in the margins get privilege bashed over their head on a daily basis and they don't have the choice to dismiss it or remove themselves from that. The only agenda is wanting to break that cycle.