View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
I do not feel that all swingers behave this way. I was giving a specific example of these couples. Not all the couples we met were condescending and rude. But over two nights, in two different towns, the overall experience for me was not one I would care to repeat.
I think that neither the poly nor the swinger community is free of people who feel that acting boorishly is acceptable. Luckily I think that there are enough well-mannered people in both to counter the bullies and asses.

Quote:
They were disrepectful to myself and my partners. What should have been a joyous and fun time turned into the three of us defending our relationship.
See, I don't think there is any excuse for them for making you feel that way.

Quote:
We've had to explain our relationship to many people over the years, I just never expected to be put in a position of having to defend our relationship to friends who also live an open lifestyle.
Actually, this is something I have found is more common than you think in non-mainstream society. No matter what your approach and attitude is there are those that will assert that you are "doing it wrong" and force you to defend your own decisions. Whether it's relationship style, paganism, or BDSM - someone will be there not respecting your own decisions as your own and will be rudely challenging you on them, as if they have some sort of moral monopoly (or at least superiority) in that particular niche.

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb