View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
I would argue that occasional loneliness is part of the price of being human, a social creature. One problem with the way a lot of people do monogamy is they expect relationships to prevent them from every feeling lonely again.
I quite agree on the first part. Indeed, we are all lonely at times. It is not even a bad thing. I am solidly married, but at times have travelled alone for business and other reasons, and there is a special bittersweet feeling to spend some time on my own, in a foreign place, with no-one to spend my evenings with - somehow evening is the time when I most acutely feel "alone" under such circumstances. I would have the same feelings if I was at home, with my wife away, for whataver reason. For a few days, it can be quite exhilarating - after that, I would find company in any case, one way or another.

The second part I am not sure what you mean. Why is what you say a problem? Especially in the case of people doing monogamy: strictly speaking they have only one "relationship", don't they? Some people do expect constant companionship from their mono partner, but others don't. I and my wife have always had autonomy and a certain amount of "own-time", and we know people who find this strange. But that's their problem, not ours.