Thread: Bi = Poly?
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RfromRMC View Post
I've often said, instead, that when bisexuals learn what polyamory is and that it's an option, they're more likely to understand the advantages of it and how it can be logically a good thing. I think they tend to have a more open mind, possibly as a result of "bucking" the establishment that says you have to pick side of gay vs straight.
It's that unique life experience of bisexuality (or pansexuality) that makes Polyamory "no big deal" for them to accept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
From my own experience, people who are bisexual tend to have gone through a period of introspection and self-examination to arrive at the conclusion that they are bisexual. Along the way, they find things like polyamory. Additionally, being bisexual also means you are more likely to come into contact with the idea of polyamory.
I agree with these explanations. For bi/pansexuals, there's usually more self-examination and self-discovery taking place, which opens up their mind, leads them to question the norm, and gives them more opportunities to get to know new ideas like polyamory. I think it probably works the same way for asexuals, another sexual minority. While for heterosexuals, it's easy to follow the default route of one man + one woman without second thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Being a woman who practices poly, most guys who have that fetish about getting off with two women think it would be perfectly fine and reasonable for me to be bi, yet they think I'm just a dirty slut because I want more than one penis in my life. Because, you know, one dick should be enough and poly is all about the sex.
Yeah, the "poly is all about the sex" assumption is so annoying. I'm heteroromantic, asexual and poly, which means I can have multiple male partners without having sex with any of them (if they're okay with a non-sexual relationship). Must be extremely hard to process for those who believe poly is all about sex.

Last edited by Eponine; 12-21-2012 at 11:23 AM.