View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 PM

Gia and Eric work at the same place, a large and powerful company. Friday night was the company's annual holiday party, and, since they both work there now (Eric had for years, Gia just started this year), they could both go and still both invite others as their one guest each. An ideal situation for poly folks. Gia brought me, and Eric brought Helen, a friend and, newly, lover of his, who I mentioned very briefly when they first got involved about a month and a half ago.

We all had a great deal of fun taking the event very seriously, like a prom. Eric actually rented a tux. Gia dressed me up in a gown and heels, did my hair, and put makeup and jewelry on me. She was dressed impeccably, and Helen looked very nice as well. Our friend who was babysitting Bee for the evening also happens to be a photographer, and he took portraits of us, separately and together.

Despite all the prep, the party was far more lavish -- and crowded, despite the fact that it sprawled over multiple floors -- than either Helen or I had envisioned. I reveled in it (and in the open bar, though I'm proud to say that I don't believe I became obnoxious at any point), Helen seemed nervous all night, Eric mingled effortlessly, and Gia seemed more at ease than Helen but still stuck near the people she knew.

It was a very interesting experience, being out in a poly pod without actually being "out" (Gia and Eric aren't out at work). Being out or in didn't really come up, since no one questioned who we were. More than anything, I just found it delightful. Gia looked so beautiful, Eric so handsome, I was proud to be with them, and felt protective of Helen. We talked about many things at great length, both with others and amongst ourselves, and ate and drank a great deal. It felt almost dreamlike in a way, slightly unreal.

Gia mentioned again, recently, that she worries that our relationship is unfair to me because the pace at which she is able to explore her sexuality is so slow. I wrote her a long email today explaining all the ways in which I feel extraordinarily lucky to be with her. The more I thought and wrote it out the clearer it seemed to me. I'm interested to see how she responds.