View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Banned

When you have "self-esteem issues" and look for other people to take up the slack, you tend to end up with other people who also have "self-esteem issues". This always leads to a cycle of co-dependency.

It is very easy for me to sit here and type, "You have self-esteem issues and need to work on those before blah blagh relationships blah blah etc." What may not be obvious is that is has not been easy for me to get to the place where I can just SAY that and be certain that I know what I'm talking about. I had HUGE "self esteem issues" in my teens and early 20's, and if I didn't know who I am I would never believe that I was the same person I am now that i was then. "Self esteem issues" means different things to each one of us, but one thing that is common to all is that having "self esteem issues" is not a character flaw. It is not something that people who have been there look DOWN upon. It is something that we who have been "through the rain" understand how hard it is, and how it often seems to be other people's problem, and that there is no way out but through. But I promise you - nobody else can fix it for you.