View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 02:08 PM

There's this one conversation type that me and rory have quite often and I'd like to share it. The subject is usually something that is emotional or triggering to one or both of us. We're both rational and emotional at the same time, and so are our conversations. They usually start with a disclaimer: "There's this emotional reaction that I'd like to talk about, but I want you to know it's not something I rationally think." Then we talk about that emotional trigger, which sometimes triggers something else in the other person as well. Quite often we cry. But at some point we move on to the rational side of it. How should we deal with this emotional reaction, if it's something neither of us wants to listen really, because it doesn't make sense and/or it's not something we want to live by.

Sometimes we question whether it's a good thing that we talk about every little detail of our emotional worlds. Even the silliest ones that we don't want influencing our decisions. But every single time we've come to the conclusion that it is a good thing for us. It satisfies the need for analysis that's strong in both of us, and it's also a way to get to know each other on a very deep level. Maybe then it wouldn't be a good idea if the conversations led to fighting or severe misunderstandings. But for us this communication method is really worth it, even though it's not always the easy way.