View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
No I must NOT admit this. I know plenty of guys, my ex included, who love getting gifts -- that drove me crazy, actually, because he thought that I would like receiving gifts as much as he did, and he was always puzzled as to why I was never much impressed or thrilled or sentimental about such things, and he actually was insulted when I made him a card instead of buying one once. I always look for practicality, and deeds rather than symbols, so I would rather not receive show-offy tokens that are supposed to mean something. He got mad when I gave my wedding dress to a thrift shop, too.

Plenty of women prefer other expressions of affection. You should read the book "The Five Love Languages." There are more ways to express love, affection, and caring than by giving gifts. Everyone has their preferences, but it isn't gender-based.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyLinguist View Post
OK, you win. Personally, I don't give a hoot about gifts, anniversaries and the like. I have to force myself to think of them for others, and I note the pleasure a gift can give them.

She isn't trying to "win", LOL.

This has to do with all that "5 Love Languages" mumbo-jumbo. And I don't use "mumbo-jumbo" disrespectfully this time. I really do think there is something to that system of how different people respond to different forms of showing affection. To the person giving, it may not even SEEM like it's showing affection. Giving gifts is one of the 5 Love Languages. Quality Time is another, Acts of Service, Words of Affirmation, and Physical Touch. Anyway, I am receptive to Acts of Service when it comes to Spouse and Words of Affirmation when it comes to Other Partner. I still haven't figured out what my partners' preferred languages are - probably the same things, although I am more expressive than either of the two of them and I tend to do a little of all 5.

But what I'm saying is: It's definitely not a man/woman thing.