View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by PolyLinguist View Post
No, I don't think all women expect such things, although (I think) most women like receiving such gifts - and why not, to the right person I don't mind giving gifts that give them pleasure, as long as I don't bankrupt myself doing so. But this is a difference, you must admit - men on the whole do neither look for nor take that much pleasure from receiving gifts.
No I must NOT admit this. I know plenty of guys, my ex included, who love getting gifts -- that drove me crazy, actually, because he thought that I would like receiving gifts as much as he did, and he was always puzzled as to why I was never much impressed or thrilled or sentimental about such things, and he actually was insulted when I made him a card instead of buying one once. I always look for practicality, and deeds rather than symbols, so I would rather not receive show-offy tokens that are supposed to mean something. He got mad when I gave my wedding dress to a thrift shop, too.

Plenty of women prefer other expressions of affection. You should read the book "The Five Love Languages." There are more ways to express love, affection, and caring than by giving gifts. Everyone has their preferences, but it isn't gender-based.
The world opens up... when you do.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.

Last edited by nycindie; 12-07-2012 at 12:27 AM.