View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 06:37 AM

"It takes hard, persistent work and not a little courage to develop our full humanity. OUr bids for authenticity easily arouse fear, anger or at the very least concerns in family, friends or coworkers. People close to us may not want us to change. Certainly for many of them our growth introduces inconvenience. At a deeper level they may believe we will grow away from them the more we cultivate our strengths and uniqueness."

Bingo...

So why is it SO DAMN HARD to see that if all parties grow-they can grow together?

WHY do people insist on being miserable and stagnant all the while fearfully bitching about someone else working to develop themselves more fully?

That is somewhat rhetorical but only because I really think that the answers are not answers at all.

The answer (in my mind) is they are SO entrenched in the HABIT of reacting in fear that they can't concieve of doing it any other way.

That makes me wonder-is it worth trying to explain it to them then? I just don't know sometimes.

She goes on to say,

"Loving and patient repetition of our objectives, our calm reassurances to them help us merge our interest with theirs. As mentioned in a previous chapter, resolving the tension between our individual needs and those of others is a central task of mature, creative adulthood."

I don't disagree, but I can't help but wonder how long that stage should last?
Not that I see anything wrong with being endlessly loving and patient. But I do find having to repeat the SAME thing over and over a bit....stifling-especially if/when I've moved on to some NEW objective having already attainted the first and they are still wanting reassurance on the first objective....