Thread: At wits end
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 03:30 AM

If the marriage is no longer meeting your needs, then divorce is the right choice for you.

However, is it not possible to discuss that with her first and avoid the whole lawyer/court thing? By the sounds of it, she wants the marriage to end too. If she's willing to sign divorce papers, do you really need a big trial? Could you not sit down with a mediator and work it out like grown-ups?

My understanding of Louisiana divorce law (which admittedly consists entirely of about.com) is that adultery gives you cause to have a divorce granted, but you'll still only receive half the communal property. That's the same as you would get with proper mediation. But if you go the lawyer route, the cost of a trial will take a big bite out of your share of the property.

Plus, you've admitted on here that you have also had sexual relations outside your marriage... You "played with a girl" before this most recent encounter of hers... so you're as guilty of "adultery" as she is.

I get that you're hurting. But drawing it out with a court battle won't make the hurt go away. That will only drag it out. Court proceedings take time. Going to trial is bloody expensive. The faster you can get through the process, the sooner you can begin to heal.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."