View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 07:44 AM

First things first, the law was not "changed" last year. Plural marriages have always been illegal in Canada. The trial was an attempt to change the law, and it failed. The judge merely clarified the existing law with regards to criminal charges. Rights of spouses and common-law partners are set under a different set of legislation. So it's not criminally illegal to have multiple common-law partners, but that doesn't mean the CRA will give you two tax deductions or that both your partners will get to split your account if you die.

Hmm... according to Wikipedia, I live in the one province that actually has an exception to that rule. Are you from Saskatchewan by any chance? I have to say, that part is news to me. Further research into that shows that this is really only valid for the purpose of property division (The Family Property Act), and that such unions cannot be solemnized under Saskatchewan's The Marriage Act 1995.

But here's your answer in plain text:
Quote:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...-apply-who.asp
You cannot be sponsored as a spouse, a common-law partner or a conjugal partner if:
you have lived apart from your sponsor for at least one year and either you (or your sponsor) are the common-law or conjugal partner of another person

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."

Last edited by SchrodingersCat; 11-17-2012 at 07:52 AM.