View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowinthedarkstars View Post
you have some really nice points.

I think maybe labeling just isnt for me as I can clearly put myself in any label.
Remember, the labels are there only to describe what you do. More than one label can apply to what you do.

There are folks who do poly who ALSO swing. They can describe what they do as poly and swinging.

You can say you do relationships of sort X while being curious about relationships of sort Y. So you can be hetero and bi-curious or gay/lesbian and bi-curious. You can be mono and poly-curious.

Remember that "labels" are useful only if they describe what you do, and if you describe what you're doing, then the labels will fit.

So, if you don't know that you can do poly, that's cool. You do mono and are curious about poly, curious enough to try it. There's nothing in those labels that keep you from changing them as needed. You can decide later that you're happy doing poly and remove the mono description.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.