View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades36 View Post
Philly is a very segregated city, Helo. So, yes, maybe it is about location. I can only go on what I have seen and heard in my own experiences and do my best to extrapolate a theory from that admittedly limited data.
I think we're all in that boat XD We kind have to do our own community studies because no one else is doing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelMore View Post
Note also that having a preference for redheads, but still being perfectly willing to date blonds, is very different, in several key ways, from not being willing to date or swing outside your race. Personally, I would lose a lot of respect for anyone who refused to consider getting involved with someone... as a friend, a lover, or a partner... based solely on the color of their skin -- that goes way beyond preference and is, in fact, the definition of prejudice. If one's "preferences" run that deep, one really ought to examine and unpack them (I'm not trying to imply at all, Helo, that you were saying you felt that way, just musing).
I have to concur with Hades; when does preference turn into prejudice?

Would your opinion of me change if I said I would never date blondes because I found the hair color unattractive?

I think we're in danger of putting the definition of racism into pants its too small for. The generally accepted definition of racism is "hatred or intolerance of another race" and I dont know if you can call someone racist because they'd prefer not to sleep with someone of a particular race. If they say "Oh I wont sleep with THOSE people because they're Crayola" ok yeah that's clearly a racist statement.

If we use that, then we start edging into the territory of accusing gay men and women of being sexist because (if) they wont sleep with members of the opposite gender.