View Single Post
  #10  
Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Halcyon Halcyon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescent View Post
Have you taken the five love languages test? The book is also very good. You are very likely high in touch as how you express and feel love. If you google five love languages you can find free online tests. Also are you unusually empathetic? I've noticed that my friends who are highly empathetic either need more touch than most OR they are very very selective in who and how they touch.
I took a look at it, apparently I have a touch score of 12 and a Quality Time score of 8. Everything else is 4 or below. Interesting.

And I have been called empathetic before, I've never considered myself terribly empathetic.

Quote:
Finally, I have heard spiritual healers, shamans and energy workers describe touch similar to how you experience it. Talking with shamans, reiki practitioners, energy workers in general may be very useful to you and possibly a life work avenue.
I'm generally fairly open-minded and I've edged into reiki and similar territory before, never with terribly promising results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
Children are an amazing source for this *you slecified it need not be sexual* as they crave hugs and cuddles all day. In fact, you may consider as a sside gig, volunteering in some activity with kids in the 0-4 age group as they particularly are affectionate. They NEED the affection and they give it too.
I used to work with kids, but I left that job because of the parents. The idea of a male working with children was apparently just too weird for them to deal with. I ran into a frightening amount of paranoia that I'm not eager to jump back into that again. I loved working with the kids, it was the parents attitude towards a male caregiver that ultimately made me hate the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayerweather View Post
And yeah. I'm a massage therapist too. Have you ever had a professional, full body massage? If you can remove the sexual component (unless you go to a place that encourages that sort of thing) it can be pure heaven for a touch person.
I have and it did help. But it was very temporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneintherain View Post
I'd throw out it could be good making an OKcupid listing looking for a cuddle buddy, friends/partners, trying a cuddle party? Sharing this feeling with anybody close to you that might be open to bonding with you in that way? A contact sport that is friendly in nature? Asking a current trusted friend about non sexual cuddling, or an ex partner that you are still on good terms with?
I've been through these options and while they do work, they only work for a limited time. Eventually, I become inured to whoever is providing the touch and it starts up again.

Quote:
You don't mention if you have any current partners, if you do, are they in some way not meeting your needs for touch, if so, why is that? You not asking for it, they aren't into cuddling, etc.
I do actually have a ladyfriend but I can only see her on a limited basis because of time and distance constraints. I'm actively poly and looking to expand the relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneQSmythe View Post
HOWEVER, if your need to be touched is so pronounced as to affect your ability to function in other areas of your life (as it sounds in your post) then it sounds to me like it does carry hallmarks of addiction (including "tolerance" which you also describe in your post).

Anti-depressants are used to treat other conditions besides depression - migraine headache prophylaxis, fibromyalgia, diabetic neuropathy, irritable bowel syndrome, etc. So, one does not need to have depression to take anti-depressants - we are talking about regulation of neurotransmitters here - which regulate ALL functions of the nervous system, not just the emotional parts.

You will have read in your research (go "intarwebz"!) that the most commonly prescribed antidepressants are SSRIs (serotonin-specific re-uptake inhibitors). The newest class are SNRIs (serotonin-norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitors). However, you may want to talk to a doctor about the the atypical antidepressant bupropion (brand-name Wellbutrin, marketed under the brand Zyban when approved for smoking cessation) for its effect on dopamine.

Dopamine is the neurotransmitter involved with telling our brains when we have had "enough" of something - "enough" food, "enough" sex, "enough" nicotine, etc. It it often used as an adjunctive when treating "dual-diagnosis" patients (mood disorder + addiction) which is how they came to figure out its usefulness in treating nicotine addiction. It can also be used in the treatment of obesity (on the "food addiction" side). And, unlike other anti-depressants, does not cause sexual dysfunction.
Your point is well taken. If I was to take a medication option, buproprion would be my first choice. I'm a little concerned because while it has shown promise with nicotine addiction and certain mood disorders, its effectiveness in things like methampetamine and other drugs is not well established. That and I'm wary of meds in general.

Admittedly this can severely interfere with my ability to function normally and as such perhaps concerns about exacerbating heart problems or personality changes should probably be secondary.
Reply With Quote