View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 PM

ON THE SIX TYPES OF MATURITY

DH is sick. He's rarely this sick. He's hiding in bed trying to sleep through it. Poor baby.

I'm still feeling all kinds of kooshy toward him. He's so sane. So solid. A little snotty right now, but ok... It happens. I love him no less snotty than when he is well. We had a low key weekend but lovely all the same. Family date on Saturday to air everyone out as especially fun. But then Sunday he suddenly got really feverish.

Me? I'm feeling sane and solid. I don't feel sick so maybe I escaped it? (Kid was sick last week.) But I do feel a bit short on patience for shenanigans.

Overly dramatic depressed friend? Wish she's just get appropriate health care already. Sigh. I'm not sure I can stay friends with her. Starts to get too emotional vampire and does NOT want to own her own bag. I can't be having with that.

My abused friend? That's taking a lot of my energy. She endues and continues to move it toward a break up. But the ex-to-be is still behaving in all kinds of weird and scary ways. She asked me for moral support while she made some hard calls. I didn't know what that meant but I told her sure -- come over and if you need me to LITERALLY hold your hand while you call, hand I will hold. She laughed and said she just wanted moral support not actual hand holding.

She wanted to make some serious calls to relatives and alert them to the situation and then make a checklist for divorce stuff when person you are trying to leave is being bizarre. Hard calls to make and she just wanted some "you can do it!" type support while she was making them. Was glad to give. She's facing a hard situation and trying to hold her own baggage. Good for her!

It's frustrating to deal with people sometimes who appear to lack maturity. The histrionic friend, the weird abusive ex to be. My abused friend? She's taken hit points man, and she's had outburts of emotion and UGH and GRR. And she STILL is trying to own her own baggage and move it forward with her shit. I give her props every damn step of the way. Her? I'm willing to endure her process with her. It's not fun for ME to endure wacky but she's not shirking her duty to herself here. Props to her!

I'd been meaning to copy it over, so today's a good a day as any. My most fav and succinct description of the (6) maturities.

If all the polypeeps aren't relatively solid on those? I don't think a polyship has the best chance it otherwise could.

And out of all of them? Emotionally immature is the one that gets my goat. Two you get free just by not being dead (chronolical, physical) rest you could learn in time (intellectual, social, philosophical) if desire is there. But dang. Emotionally immature? That's a hard one to overcome if your emotional development got arrested somewhere along the line.

I do not want to sign up to align self with an emotionally immature person. That's headache I can avoid by just saying NO.

Quote:
pg 22-24 "Homemaking Skills for Everyday Living" by Francis Baynor Parnell.

Types of maturity

People grow more mature each day. Full maturity is not reached until late in life. Some people may never fully mature in all aspects. They may be mature in some ways, but immature in others.

Chronological maturity refers to a person’s age. This is the only type of maturity in which all people grow at the same rate. Each birthday adds another year.

Chronological maturity is easy to measure. It is convenient for legal use. People have to prove they are old enough for a drive's license, a marriage license, or other legal rights. Elective positions often have age requirements. To be a member of the United States Congress, you must be at least 45.

Physical maturity refers to the growth of the body. It if influence by hereditary and health habits. The way you choose to eat, sleep, and care for your body will influence your physical development.

Chronological and physical maturity are certain. You mature chronologically simply by being alive. You mature physically through normal growth process. The remaining types of maturity are not so automatic. Each persona matures in a unique way.

Intellectual maturity is the ability to reason and develop complex thought patterns. It is influenced by your heredity, environment, and desire to learn. When your environment offers learning experiences, you are stimulated to think and look for new solutions to problems. If you have the desire to learn, you can grow intellectually throughout your whole life. Many elderly people are still enthusiastic about learning new things. If your environment lack stimulation or if you lack the desire to learn, your intellectual maturity will be delayed. You need many challenges and success to reach full intellectual maturity.

Emotional maturity refers to the way people express their feelings. Emotionally mature persons can balance their personal needs and the needs of others. This is a key to making and keeping friends. People enjoy friends who help fill their needs. On the other hand, one sided relationships seldom last.

Emotional maturity has been described as learning to give and take. This opens a relationship to a two-way communication. Emotionally mature people can give and receive honest compliments. They enjoy doing special things for others and they allow other to do special things for them. As people reach emotional maturity, the find more satisfaction in life. They learn to accept themselves for what the are. They can accept the individuality of others as well.

Social maturity is being able to get along with other people. Children grow social maturity as they learn to take turns and share. By playing and working together, people learn to get along with others. They learn first hand what others like and dislike. They also learn that different people like different things. A socially mature person had good times with other people and enjoys life.

Philosophical maturity is looking at life with understanding. To reach this type of maturity, persons must understand themselves and their values, goals, and standards. The must also understand their environment and other people. Philosophically mature persons know what is important to them in life. They set goals for themselves. They are willing to give up immediate pleasures as they work toward important goals.

Concern for the people's well being is another aspect of philosophical maturity. The concept of “being more” becomes more important than “having more.” “Being more” places stress on relating well to people. Being a better person, a better parent, a better employee and a better friend are examples of “being more.” “Having more” places stress on material things such as clothes, cars, boats, and houses. This often stresses work to the extent that people may be neglected in the process.

All six types of maturity influence a person's behavior.

Last edited by GalaGirl; 10-15-2012 at 09:50 PM.