View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieSez View Post
Thanks @musicalrose

Yes, considerations of jobs, housing, extended family, custody, etc. can certainly complicate decisions about poly outness. I certainly don't begrudge anyone their choice, as long as they're clear and up front with their partners about it.

That said, as I mentioned in my post, often despite our best efforts to control access to our own personal info, often people do get outed by others against their wishes or before they're ready.

I'm curious: given how much you & your partners seem to have at stake, do you have a contingency plan to handle unintended or premature outing?

Thanks for the proofreading. Will fix that typo when I'm back on my computer.
We are hoping that IF they are outed at work and IF one or both of them is fired for it, that they won't have too much trouble finding work elsewhere. There are at least a few people in the office that are also personal friends of ours and already know and would probably act as professional references for them. We aren't sure they would be fired, but we are treading carefully for now.

If we are outed to my fiance's parents, we will just deal with it. It isn't ideal for them to know, but it won't be the end of the world if they find out either. Either they will eventually drop the subject or accept it on a basic level, or they will raise enough hell that my fiance will stop dealing with them. I'm trying not to stress out too much about it. Right now our secrecy with them is preferred rather than necessary, at the very least until our wedding goes through. We don't want them to interfere with the wedding planning or cause a scene.