View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelia View Post
So the question is: what should Peter, Paul and Mary do?

Real head-scratcher, isn't it?

We all have to be, at any time, cognizant that any one of ours friends or family members who know we're poly can tell somebody else that we are poly. There's no way to be absolutely certain we can control who knows what's happening.

With that in mind, I think it important for polyfolk to carefully assess whether the company they work for is poly-unfriendly. If there are indicators it likely is, the poly folk have to always have an exit plan. Keep track of openings in other companies, network with folks from other companies, and so forth. It takes only one mention to draw a negative reaction, if the corporate climate is poly-unfriendly.

Beyond that, I don't think the should do much of anything. Mom knows they're poly and I, at least, would trust that Mom isn't going to get married to a man who is going to have a strong negative reaction to the children--that sort of thing breaks families and most folks won't marry that sort of problem knowingly. If Mom is a tolerant sort of person, it's unlikely she'd get entangled with an intolerant sort.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.