Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 07:21 PM
SockPuppet Troll - SamuelWest or Dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon View Post
I'm genuinely curious here - what does 'polyamorous' mean to you? Because (as others have already said) by most people's definition, polygamy is a type of polyamory, which would mean you ARE currently in a polyamorous relationship...

I'm not trying to tell you what to call your relationship - I'm firmly of the belief that we shouldn't label others - but I just wondered why you're so strongly anti-polyamory.

Everyone's poly is different - there are as many ways to be polyamorous as there are poly people!
Polyamory (from Greek πολύ [poly, meaning many or several] and Latin amor/love) is the practice, desire, or acceptance of having more than one intimate relationship at a time with the knowledge and consent of everyone involved.

Let me try to clarify not only on polyamory but any type of relationship in general...including friendships that are sexual in nature. I personally believe in commitment in relationships...all relationships, not just marriages. I believe especially in fidelity in relationships when sex is involved. I do not necessarily believe sex is strictly for pro-creation, I am not against abortions, but I do believe (for myself) that sex is between married partners only. I would never be a swinger or have sex outside of my marriage. Polyamory (in my world) has a negative conotation in that sexual partners need no commitment what-so-ever to one another. This is true of many sexual relationships these days. I am not anti-gay in the least, but believe that there needs to be a commitment if sex is involved...a marriage, so yes, I am for gay marriage.

I noted to a friend one day recently that we are closely akin to many of the values of the Amish...Amish polygamists, imagine that! We espouse many of the values of simplicity that the Amish espouse. We also shun (for ourselves) many values held by today's "modern" world.

So sexual polyamory to me without marriage is a no-no. No matter what the sexual commitment is, without marriage, I do not embrace it for myself, nor does any of my family embrace it. This is not a judgement of other lifestyles or lifestyle choices, we are simply pro-marriage and pro-family for US.