View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quath View Post
She would tell me that my lack of belief would have me spending eternity in hell. I know she truly believed all of this and was concerned, but it bugged me that she believed that her god was going to torture me for all of eternity because I never found proof of God.
I'm sorry that you had to put up with that, too. I'm sure lots of people who question the existence of a god have had to. The thing is, their god wouldn't torture you because you never found the proof; it's the blind faith that they want. Absolute faith without proof in the strictest sense. Which seems a tad absurd to me, because what happens to those in parts of the world that never were presented with the idea of a god? Do they go to hell for not having the fortune of hearing about this god that many choose to believe in? That doesn't seem like the will of a just and loving god to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quath View Post
My guess is that biologists deal with evolution, which seems to be a hot issue for science/religion.
I've spent a while studying evolution, and I don't think religion and evolutionary biology are mutually exclusive. If there is a being capable enough to create our complex systems and everything we see in our world, I imagine s/he would make us so that we could adapt to changes in our environment so that we would survive. I think this is probably the view a lot of evolutionary scientists-- those that choose to believe in a god-- take.

This is all just my opinion...

Don't try to tell me who you are; tell me who you love.

The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done, we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change. So that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger, but in wisdom, understanding and love.
-- Jennifer Edwards