View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelMore View Post
Why is it that any time someone says "I find this offensive", someone else feels the need to say "You're overreacting, that's not offensive."? I just dont get it. The person pointing out their feeling of offense -- unless they're just tying to get attention or defame someone else, which Mags, a long time poster with no vendettas against anyone, is clearly not after -- is actually doing a service. When something offends you, you can respond with vitriol, or you can leave the discussion in a huff, which are very understandable reactions but which help no one. OR you can calmly and rationally explain what your problem with it was.
I understand where you're coming from, Annabel, but I think this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
That's kind of transphobic, actually.
followed by this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
Or does he just mean, "Has a pussy?" Would he date a femme post op transwoman or would he puke and beat her up if he found out she was trans after he'd fucked her?
is what came across as more accusatory than explanatory. Calling something transphobic, or any kind of phobic, is a rather serious accusation. Softening it with "kind of" didn't help much- a better way might have been "That seems kind of transphobic to me. Can you clarify the person's opinion and intent?" And we're not even talking about another poster- we're talking about comments made TO a poster, so the individual in question isn't even present to read any of this to defend, explain, etc. And then the "puke and beat her up" part was, in my opinion, inflammatory. It didn't serve any purpose except to insult someone who isn't even here. That's what led me to post a "hey, I think I get where you're coming from, but you're going a little overboard" message.