View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 09:39 PM

My mom is an agnostic atheist, and my dad is an atheist, to the dismay of his parents (his dad was a minister). They raised my brother and I to love people for the diversity of their beliefs, and encouraged us to explore faith. We went to several different churches, trying each flavor, and maybe we had a bad sample, but each one told us that our parents were going to burn in hell for not believing in whatever brand of god they were selling. I actually had a few pastors ask where my parents were, and tell me that it was my responsibility to save their souls. Which is a pretty hefty statement for a 7 year old to take in, and made me run away from faith, and I haven't been comfortable in a church since then.

These days I would define myself as a Humanist. I believe in love and in people. It probably doesn't help that I'm a biologist.

Don't try to tell me who you are; tell me who you love.

The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done, we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change. So that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger, but in wisdom, understanding and love.
-- Jennifer Edwards