Thread: Polywog.
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 08:50 PM

Talking

Happy news!

I shared our change of lovestyle with my brother (who is my best friend) and several close friends yesterday, and they surprised the hell out of me with how understanding they all were. I truly have amazing friends. <3

Even though most of them said that they wouldn't make the same choice for themselves, they were open to talking about it, asked a lot of good questions, and were ultimately not put-off by our decision. Instead, most of them made comments like, "It sounds like you've done your research and thought a lot about it. I'm glad you've found a philosophy and a practice that makes you both happy." And this coming from a particular friend who's pretty dang conservative in her view of the world!

We haven't told all of our friends yet, though. One newlywed couple who are friends of mine are going to be particularly difficult to tell. I'm afraid they're going to think, despite any kind of explanation, that it's just just condoned cheating. They have baggage about their parents cheating, so I'm nervous that they will automatically equate poly with that and not listen. I guess it's better to tell them now than when my fiance or I have a boyfriend or a girlfriend move in with us, right?

Now we're discussing whether (and when) to tell our parents. My dad isn't the most open-minded or understanding person, and will probably ridicule us while my mom gets pissed. Maybe we'll wait until after the wedding in case they overreact in a drastic way (mom and dad are paying for most of the wedding). My love thinks we should wait until we have a more serious other love, and just introduce them as "so-and-so's boy/girlfriend" and deal with the questions then. I don't think that's the best idea, but it's entertaining at the very least. Just picturing the looks on their faces just makes me laugh, though in a nervous laughter sort of way.

Don't try to tell me who you are; tell me who you love.

The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done, we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change. So that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger, but in wisdom, understanding and love.
-- Jennifer Edwards