View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunicWolf View Post
I'm a fan of both, honestly. I lean more Star Wars then Trek, mostly because Trek is too clean and the people too perfect.
You know, I'd never thought of that.

Quote:
That said, DS9 was probably my favorite Trek show because it felt more real then the others.
Really? I thought it was ok, but for me, The Next Generation was the one that I loved. I'm pretty sure I saw every episode atleast once and most of them twice, laugh :-). Oh one thing about DS9 though, Jadzia Dax was hot :-)!

Quote:
That said, in both cases you only see a small fraction of the universes, in shows, movies, or expanded universes. There should be no reason poly relationships can't exist in either setting.
For sure. Ultimately, I see fiction as a reflection of those who created it, and those people are firmly in this world :-).

Quote:
Personally I could care less about how much I see. Like my life, unless it's important, does anyone really need to know? Does it move the story along, or is it just a quirk to make a character/race seem more unusual? I'm okay with it being so far in the back we never see it because it's not important. Like how Babylon 5 handled the same sex relationship that cropped up. You know it was a thing but it's only brought up when it's important to the plot (which was all of twice) and handled tastefully.
For sure. Whenever I see a film/show/anime/what have you, what I always try to think of is, why did they make it this way? I suspend disbelief to some extent; I don't really care if something that happened in a fictional show is technically impossible so long as it's not blatantly so. I generally think that all of these mediums are generally trying to communicate something on a deeper level, and that's what I like to focus on. Sometimes, even the authors themselves may not fully understand what inspires them to do this or that, but I like to come up with theories.. definitely keeps my mind going :-).