Thread: New Boards?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Custodian

Quote:
"Life Stories and Blogs" - I guess what kinda irks me a little about this forum is it doesn't have much structure... on the forums I've seen this done on, generally how it's handled is members who want to talk about their life in a "journal" style way are allowed to start one thread and then maintain a conversation within that thread about their life... I'm probably being irked by it because I really like that format, and feel like posting a new thread all the time is disorganized... but that's just me.
Me too, this.

Quote:
"The Fireplace" - I saw someone say in another thread that they had wanted to talk about something (was it a health issue or a health issue of family member or something... I can't remember...) but they felt hesitant to post it in "The Fireplace" because that area of the forum currently isn't very active and he/she wasn't sure anyone would want to hear about it.
I get all the new messages by clicking on "New Posts" at the top of every page. If people choose not to utilize that feature, I'd say they're prob'ly missing out on some interesting stuff.

Quote:
I feel like this is the dilemma of having a free-for-all catch all section for everything not related to the main forum... unless it's actively being used by a lot of members, these types of forum usually remain fairly empty by comparison because people are afraid to post there because no one else is because they're unsure if what they want to talk about is something that's interesting to others.
I am pleased by the use that "The Fireplace" has gotten since it was put there. I think it has been quite successful.

Quote:
There are two ways to combat that which I know of.... Either change the structure... Like, maybe create subforums under The Fireplace for various non-poly specific subjects like "Home Life", "Parenting", "Family", "Entertainment", etc. so people know those are totally acceptable thingsto be talking about here, OR the active members need to be more proactive about posting in the Fireplace on a regular basis.
I hear what you are saying, but my personal feeling is that many forums are much too fragmented in that respect. It gets to the point where you can't decide whether your post belongs in one topic or another. This sounds like something that could be implemented down the road a bit if it looks like the Fireplace is getting SO many messages that it would be LESS confusing if it were subdivided. Right now, there is a thread for say "Outdoor Recreation" and folks have been reviving that thread and others when they have something to add. BUt for example, there is also a thread on "Nude Recreation" which sometimes overlaps with the material in "Outdoor". I do not feel that it is necessary to have a whole sub-FORUM for each type of recreation at this juncture.