Thread: New Boards?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiana View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to restrict certain sections of the site based on post count. This creates rifts in the community, and can discourage people from becoming active members in the community if the bar is set too high... and in a community that's got an active member base that's as small as this one, you don't want to add additional barriers to participate or else the community will die.

However, I do think it's a good idea to restrict certain sections of the site based on whether a user is logged in or logged out. This is not an offensive line to draw because a logged in user is part of your community, a logged out one is an observer of your community and it's perfectly acceptable to have 'private' areas that only your members can see.
I agree with this entirely. The value of a person's contributions does not lie in the number of posts they have made. However, it is entirely reasonable to restrict areas to logged in users. Anybody can register to become part of the forum to access such areas.