View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberRain View Post
ummm, I just have to say, I think I just fell in love with you. Your last two posts are so fabulous, and I relate so much.
A smile for a Thursday morning. Thank you!

Finding the right therapy can take a lot of trial and error. So much goes into the relationship between therapist and client, and then you've got to be willing to keep going back -- it's hard work! The best fit I ever had was Ann at my community college. She struck the perfect balance, boundary-wise, which helped because she had to teach me about boundaries. She was also right there where I took classes, so I didn't have many excuses for missing sessions. Nope, not even extracurriculars.

I had a therapist try to convince me I'd been raped by a friend's dad because I have these vivid dreams about the act. It's possible, but we live in rape culture. A woman is always on her guard, always afraid. Always at risk. So is it any wonder I'd dream?

And a good clinician must be ready for the emotions, because you're right. At the heart of it, this is why we go. We need a doctor for our feelings, and a place for what comes out of those feelings (i.e. more feelings) to be accepted, not pushed down.

Quote:
I was an only child until I was 13. My parents split and my dad took up with the woman who would become my step-ma, and my brother and sister were 8 and 2 at the time. I used to babysit them so our parents could date.
Awww, you sweetheart! I don't know that I could've got used to sharing my family after so long. Also, at 13, I'd just come off five years of being passed off on a woman who minded far too many children for far too much money. (No, sorry, it's not safe to pack ten people into a people-carrier that sits seven.) So I had issues around mattering to my parents, and they had issues of their own. God, we were dysfunctional.

...yes, darling, I hear you asking "Were?!"

Refuge in Audacity { home of the post-raph stunner }