View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
How have you known when you were compatible or incompatible with someone?
I've always been the go-with-the-flow type, after my initial consideration of said interest. Usually it comes up very quickly whether we're compatible or not, within a few conversations. I have still gone ahead and dated people I wasn't compatible with, just because I liked them.

Quote:
Are there different kinds of compatibility and is that why poly can work for some seemingly disparate combinations of people?
Yes and yes. I'm not expecting to find another man who is just like my SO in terms of compatibility, nor am I expecting to find another woman who is super-compatible with me. But I won't be settling for vast, insurmountable differences either. IMO there are too many people on the planet that I have things in common with that I could interact with instead.

Quote:
How do you handle relationships when incompatibility becomes the obvious problem?
I end it.

Quote:
And do you think incompatibility can be overcome and result in a satisfying relationship anyway?
Overarching incompatibility? Not in a romantic sense, no. My ex and I overcame ours by becoming friends after the fact, which of course shifted our attitudes towards each other entirely. The incompatibility has turned into just one of those things, rather than something we can't deal with.