View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 02:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post

I find it frustrating that we (general) say we want to stop/end/reduce oppression and yet our whole systems for our life are (as you were noting) based on oppression, which in turn oppresses us, because we're stuck living in it... I'm not sure how one gets out of that.
One of our issues is Walmart. Everyone complains about purchasing anything from Walmart as it's supporting economies that are big on oppression issues-but it's also the only place with anything REMOTELY affordable to purchase where we live.
This is SOOO true. It's not really fair to expect people to immediately stop doing the things they need to survive for the sake of the hardships they create. We're just as trapped in many ways and your description of it was eloquent and spot on. A lot of the major change that needs to happen can't really happen unless there is political will in a society to create that change.

The main reason I do anti-oppression work is that when people become more aware, that political will does slowly build. I think about how the idea of Fair Trade is far more accepted and generally used than it used to be. People are doing more to consider their carbon footprint (which also ties to a lot of oppression issues) and it's slowly becoming a more fundamental part of our society. And the increased viral nature of the media makes it very difficult to ignore the parts of the world that we're connected to under the surface. Slowly that will is shifting.

As far as ideas for practical things to do, I'm a huge fan of awareness campaigns. Gathering together people who have similar concerns can do wonders to create action. It's a really great way to connect with other people and build a sense of community and justice, as long as you don't mind the metaphorical tomatoes that get thrown at you quite a bit.

But Martin Luther King said it best: The arc of the universe bends towards justice.