View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I would like to consider myself to be open to new concepts and flexible when it comes to giving them a fair shake. That being said, sometimes if I am hit just right with new ideas I am about as receptive to them as a rattle snake (and just as charming).

As you've said, all told, it sounds like it wasn't a complete breakdown for an initial conversation. He sounds like he got a little catty because of an emotional response but there was minimal damage.

I'm with these other folks though, that you will want to practice at making your needs/desires known in a constructive way. It can be tough and I am certainly not skilled enough to have a clinic or judge anyone else, but improving in that skill should be a fairly high priority. Backing down to avoid a fight in certain circumstances can be a *very* temporary solution - but it is merely a bandaid and is not at all addressing the condition.

Keep us posted, I wish you the best.
All good points, thank you. I am, indeed, working on making my needs known. It can be very hard for me, as I was raised in a very restrictive environment.

I've been reading stories on these boards all day to try to sort things out within myself and to keep from thinking too much about our upcoming talk.

We'll see how it goes!