View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
This whole topic really weighs me down. Do I ever get to feel that I am not oppressive? So what if I am privileged in some areas of my life? I am in that I can buy clothes from Bangledesh at Old Navy for instance. That makes me an oppressor by supporting their store and therefore those that oppress them. If clothing stores such as that only offer clothes from oppressed countries then how and when do I get to not feel like shit for buying them when that is all that is offered. Sure there is so much we can do and I do as much as I can but the burden can be SOooo heavy and it piles guilt and shame onto me that is also oppressive. Much of the way our culture is set up is around oppression in one way or another. What do we do, add everything up and see who comes out as the most oppressed and then sit with that.... what is the point in that? What do we do next?
You could be helping those oppressed countries by buying stuff from them.

One sad example is that people felt bad about buying good produced by child labor. So they passed a law that forbid people to buy them. They figured the children would no longer be forced to work. But the end effect is that the children needed the money. From Wikipedia: "In Bangladesh, there was a closure of several sweatshops which had been run by a German company, and as a result, thousands of Bangladeshi children who had been working in those sweatshops ended up working as prostitutes, turning to crime, or starving to death."

Our good intentions made it worse for them.