View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 04:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhCrow View Post
I had to laugh at this one, not because I disagree with the basic premise, but because it also perpetuates stereotypes that harm people. The best data we have available on domestic abuse shows that women abuse men more often than men abuse women. The spectacle of the man beating the woman bloody is what gets attention, however, and so many people assume most domestic abuse is aimed at women by men because of that. It's supposedly OK for women to abuse male partners because "she's just a woman" and can't "really" hurt him. A man, I guess, is supposed to suffer the abuse gladly.

It illustrates the point well that a lot of oppression happens because folks don't understand what they're doing.
Most of the anti-oppression work I do is around race and not gender. That particular site was recommended to me by a friend but I have not read it from top to bottom. I definitely agree that domestic abuse is a problem for men as much as it is for women, but I'd love to see the data you're referring to so that I can be better informed when recommending any other sites like that.