View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 PM

Nice thread. I like OLD relationship energy because OLD is a word that needs to be reclaimed as something wonderful.

In my 20+ year relationship--to which our third was added just early this year--we have so many wonderful skeezy moments. Like when we have quiet time, and he rubs my feet, and we talk about the day's events. Or we find ourselves looking at something and quoting the same Simpsons/Kids in the Hall/Onion lines. Or when I find a cut-out paper heart somewhere I didn't expect it (most recently, one of my rifle range bags). Or when I come home with our partner after three hours out together, and find my husband has done a major house or land chore that was back burnered. Or when he orders and brings home just the right movie or CD from interlibrary loan.

Our third does many of these same things, and we each and both adore it and him. But there is a special glow when it happens with someone I've known for nearly half my life. The enduring quality of it. The simple intimacy. The utter honesty. And the knowledge that no matter how grumpy or upset or confused or inadequate I am, this man loves me for keeps. It's just awesome.

We're pretty sure that we'll find ourselves in this situation with our third in another ten years.

And I'm editing this to add:

The NRE with our third...I've been giving it a lot of thought. I suppose it helps that we are all older, but we aren't as loopy-goofy-NRE-ish as I've experienced earlier in my life in poly liaisons/relationships. It's quiet and deep and lovely while also being hot and fun and heart/mind/body expanding. Still, our third has said on occasion that he's looking forward to a time when we all settle in a bit more...even as he loves the energy as it exists. I've tried to compare the NRE with the ORE but for the life of me all I come up with is different facets of loving.

Last edited by Nudibranch; 07-09-2012 at 06:46 PM.